Cosmopolitan is a delicious cocktail, which exists in several various versions. It is usually made with Citrus Vodka, Cointreau, Lime Juice and Cranberry Juice. It is traditionally served in a cocktail glass, but if you don’t have such, a plain drinks glass will do. Cosmo is the perfect cocktail before a girl’s night out, where you for a moment forget all about the battle of the sexes and equality and surrender to the faint warmth and pink drinks. And even guys cannot deny, after all, that cosmopolitan just tastes really good.
To make a good cocktail, it is important to choose the right ingredients – we recommend that you go for a mid to high range vodka, such as Absolut Vodka Citron or the classic Stolichnaya. Also, as you are using quit a lot of orange liqueur, go for Cointreau instead of the cheaper triple sec, as it taste much better. As always, go with fresh ingredients. Fresh lime makes a much tastier juice than the bottled stuff. A great way to get extra taste out of your lime is to rub it before squeezing.
- 4.00 cl Vodka Citron (Citrus Vodka)
- 1.50 cl Cointreau
- 1.50 cl Fresh lime juice
- 3.00 cl Cranberry juice
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Strainer
- Martini cocktail glass
- Place the martini cocktail glass in the freezer to chill.
- Fill a shaker with cold ice cubes.
- Add the Vodka citron & Cointreau.
- Before adding fresh lime juice, remember to rub it for extra taste.
- Add cranberry juice
- Cover the shaker and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is frosted, to combine and chill.
- To get rid of the small pieces of ice, strain the cocktail into a chilled martini cocktail glass.
- Extra – Put a twist of orange zest on the rim before serving. It adds a little extra sweetness and gives you the orange essence, which hides the strong scent of the vodka.
You just made The Classic Cosmopilitan - enjoy it!
HistoryThere are numerous people who claim to have invented the original recipe for Cosmopolitan, but no one quite knows the true story. Cheryl Cook, a South Beach Florida bartender, is credited for inventing it in 1985/86. She was tasked with created a new drink out of Absolut Citron and wanted to come up with a good drink that also looked stunning.
“The Martini had just made it's come back. Women were ordering Martinis just to have a drink in that classic glass. Many women did not seem to really like a true martini or the new age martini, the vodka martini. What overwhelmed me was the number of people who ordered Martinis just to be seen with a Martini glass in their hand. It was on this realization that gave me the idea to create a drink that everyone could pallet and was visually stunning in that classic glass. This is what the Cosmo was based on.”Her original recipe was: Absolut Citron, a splash of Triple Sec, a drop of Roses lime and just enough cranberry to make it oh so pretty in pink. The version here is based on Toby Cecchini original recipe from 1987, which uses Cointreau instead of Triple Sec, and fresh lime juice instead of Rose's.
— Quote: cheryl Cook